When it comes to thinking about what career you might like some people are drawn to job in property including that of working as a letting agent.
The tasks that are undertaken by a letting agent include:
- Setting up viewing of potential tenants around vacant or soon to be vacant properties
- Carrying out appropriate checks on tenants
- Drawing up tenancy agreements
- Checking and drawing up inventories – Property inventory training can help with this
- Requesting and checking tenants references
- Meeting with landlords to discuss their letting requirements
- Consulting with contractors to arrange for any maintenance to be carried out in the properties
- Dealing with an issues to do with the tenants and tenancy agreement in place
In order to carry out these duties successfully it is important that you have good all round communication skills both in written and verbal forms. Interpersonal skills are essential as you will be dealing with landlords and tenants on a daily basis. IT skills will be needed in order to be able to use any software that the agency has in place as well as typing up and issuing tenancy agreements. You will also need to be organised in order to be able to prioritise your daily workload.